FMS - Grounds Team
Dave Gennaro, Grounds Supervisor, leads the Grounds Team. Seven days a week, these Spelman College employees are responsible for maintaining pleasing outdoor environments throughout the 39 acre Spelman College campus for the enjoyment of all staff, faculty, students and guests. It is Mr. Gennaro’s priority to create a safe working environment for the Grounds Team as they create the best possible environment for living, learning and working at Spelman College! Through the use of sustainable and best management practices, the Grounds Team continues to shrink its carbon footprint and grow in their stewardship of the environment.
The Grounds Team staff is divided into crews, each responsible for specific tasks required to keep the grounds safe and aesthetically pleasing. These services include:
• General Landscape Maintenance. Trees, shrubs, groundcover, and turf are all living things that require specialized and on-going care. The schedule is designed so that each building or area receives routine maintenance every two weeks. Areas of higher visibility and importance receive maintenance on a weekly basis. With this repeated, regular maintenance it is intended that no area ever fall below acceptable standards and critical issues are addressed before they become a visual or physical hazard.
• Hardscape Maintenance. The paved areas are equally important to the outdoor environment and require routine attention. Keeping the hardscape safe is a high priority for the Grounds Team. Using power blowers, the team addresses the entire campus each day to ensure clean and safe passage as users travel the campus. In addition, leaf removal, drain cleaning, storm clean up, and snow and ice removal are essential to maintaining a campus we can all be proud of.
• Color. Everybody loves the wonderful addition color makes to the landscape, and our trained and skilled Horticulturists are committed to the highest standards. They are constantly maintaining the many annual/perennial beds, container gardens and specialty gardens around campus. In addition, they teach the rest of the staff proper maintenance techniques to keep our landscape looking its best.
• Solid Waste Removal. The Grounds Team is also responsible for maintaining all trash cans, trash receiving areas, dumpsters and recycling collection. This often behind-the-scenes task is essential for the health, safety and welfare of everyone who works, lives and learns on the Spelman College campus.
• Miscellaneous. Some things are more difficult to categorize, but no less important. In addition to the above responsibilities, the Grounds Team also participates in the following:
- Critter Control
- Landscape Renovation
- Event Set Up
- Earth Day Projects
- Irrigation Management
- Storm Clean Up
- Pressure Washing
- Sidewalk Repairs
Dave Gennaro, Grounds Supervisor
- Hezekiah Clingman, Lead Groundsperson
- Sharon Roth, Lead Horticulturist
- Vacant, Horticulturist
- Richard Grier, Trash & Recycling Technician
- Angelo James, Groundsperson/Turf Technician
- Michael Jackson, Groundsperson/Turf & Leaf Crew
- Willie Ivy, Groundsperson/Turf & Leaf Crew
- Eric Dunlap, Groundsperson/Landscape Detail Crew
- Rick Lyons, Groundsperson/Landscape Detail Crew
- Michelle Cheatham, Groundsperson/Landscape Detail Crew/Recycling Lead