Online Housing Application | Residence Halls | Online Forms
All full-time first-year and second-year students are required to live on campus. As a residential learning community, Spelman is committed to fostering the intellectual, ethical, professional and leadership development of our students and to supporting students as they create community and maintain balance in their lives. We believe learning is a continuous process that extends into other areas of college life. Living on campus greatly contributes to college students' overall personal and academic success.
Students must complete a housing exemption form in order to be released from the residency requirement. Students must meet one of the following criteria to be released from the residency requirement:
- The student will be 20 years of age on or before August 1. (Student must provide a copy of a valid state issued I.D. or driver’s license, and a valid birth certificate).
- Will be residing in the primary legal residence of a parent or legal guardian who lives within 40 miles of Spelman College. Parent(s) must verify with a notarized letter and copy of lease agreement, mortgage deed of the residence owner, or utility bill).
- Student has a medical condition that requires special living accommodations (Must be approved through the Office of Disability Services, 404-270-5289).
- Living on campus presents a demonstrated financial hardship. (Must be verified by the Office of Student Financial Services)
- Student is married and has a valid marriage license.
- Student has children and is able to produce a valid birth certificate for children or marriage license.
Generally, requests to be released from housing will not be approved without appropriate supporting documentation. For full consideration, all supporting documentation must be received on official letterhead with original signatures. Letters from medical and/or clinical professionals who are relatives of the student will not be accepted.
If you have questions regarding this process, please direct them to the Director of Housing and Residence Life at (404) 270-5344 or firstname.lastname@example.org