09/30/14 12:00 PM

Current Students

Student Grievances

Each student is encouraged to resolve concerns through a dispute resolution process or directly with the individual(s) involved. The Student Affairs Office offers materials on dispute resolution and alternative methods for resolving issues as well as communication techniques. Students may obtain a Student Grievance Form from the Student Affairs office, 210 Manley Center, or use the online Grievance Form for nonacademic issues.

Types of Grievances

Disciplinary Action

Students submitting a grievance disciplinary action request should refer to The Code of Community Standards and Conduct. The grievance should be submitted to the Student Affairs Office and identify the alleged violation in accordance to the conduct standards.

Personal Records

Guidelines governing student access to personal records and the procedures for challenging information in these records are outlined above.


Student grievances concerning grades should be submitted to the Academic Dean. The Office of the Academic Dean will provide information regarding the process.

Student Services

Student grievances concerning any department within the Division of Student Affairs should be submitted to the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students.

Sexual Harassment / Discrimination

Grievances concerning harassment or discrimination should be submitted to the Office of Student Affairs for review. If the grievance involves a faculty and/or staff member, the Office will forward the matter to the Office of Human Resources.

Academic Departments and Nonacademic Departments

Student grievances regarding academic departments and nonacademic departments should be referred to the director of the department in question. Students may still obtain the grievance form from the Office of Student Affairs.

General Grievances

All general student grievances concerning the College should be referred to the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students for appropriate dissemination.

Grievance procedure

  • The Student Grievance Form for Nonacademic Issues should state and specify the following information:
    • the type of grievance
    • by whom and for what reason the grievance is sought
    • date or dates, names, and addresses (if applicable) of any witnesses
    • what remedy and/or solution is being sought
  • The written grievance must be filed within 30 business days of the alleged incident and/or grievance. The College will determine on a case-by-case basis whether complaints filed after this deadline will be considered.
  • The Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students will follow its concept of "reasonable fairness" in seeking to resolve the matter. All parties involved with the grievance will be notified of the complaint and/or grievance, may know the source of the complaint, and will be allowed to provide pertinent information in addressing the grievance.
  • In some instances, such as cases regarding disciplinary action, personal records, sexual harassment and discrimination, an investigation may be appropriate and conducted by the Associate Dean of Students or as otherwise designated by the Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students. The investigation process is generally completed within 30 business days from when the written allegation is filed.
  • A written determination as to the validity of the grievance and a description of the resolution, if any, will be issued by the Associate Dean of Students and a copy forwarded to the student with the complaint and/or grievance.
  • The Associate Dean of Students will review the grievance and notify the student with the complaint and/or grievance of the resulting determination in writing within 15 business days. A possible solution may involve mediation.
  • The right of a student to a prompt and equitable resolution of the complaint filed will not be delayed by the student's pursuit of other remedies, such as filing a complaint with the responsible federal department or agency.