Congratulations! You have reached the final rung on the academic ladder of success. As you prepare for graduation, there are several items that you must address in order to ensure clearance for receiving your diploma.
Please note the following information, and check your academic record to ensure that it is accurate and complete. This is your responsibility; the Registrar’s Office will assist in identifying the source of resolution for any challenges you may have.
REQUIREMENTS FOR GRADUATION
To be awarded a degree from Spelman College, a student must:
- Be in good standing at the College
- Complete a minimum of 120 credit hours
- Complete requirements of the General Education Program, including the First Year Orientation Program and Sophomore Assembly
- Have a minimum grade point average of 2.0 in each major and cognate course
- Earn a grade of "C" or higher in English Composition
- Fulfill all College and departmental assessment requirements
- Complete a minimum of one year of residency
- Earn a minimum of 32 credit hours earned at the College
- Complete the senior year at the College (Courses may be taken within the Atlanta University Center and the ARCHE institutions and/or other programs and schools approved by the Office of Undergraduate Studies)
- Fulfill all financial obligations to the College
STEPS TO GRADUATION
Step 1 - Apply for graduation
Step 2 - Make and complete appointment with Degree Auditor in Registrar’s Office
Step 3 - Make and complete appointment with Academic Advisor in major/minor department
Step 4 - Make and complete appointment with the department chair of your major
Step 5 – Complete the Seniors Survey and Submit clearance form to the Registrar’s office from:
- Financial Aid/ Perkins Loan
- Transcript Discrepancies
Step 6 - Verify name on clearance list and attend Commencement rehearsal to receive Commencement Tickets.
REQUIREMENTS FOR PARTICIPATION IN COMMENCEMENT AND BACCALAUREATE FOR DUAL DEGREE PROGRAM STUDENT
A student in the Dual Degree Engineering Program must fulfill both the requirements at Spelman, and the institution from which she is earning her engineering degree.
She may be eligible to participate in Spelman's commencement and baccalaureate, provided that she has:
- Met all Spelman's requirements for participation and has maintained good standing at both institutions (i.e. she has not violated the code of conduct expected of students at either institution)
- Submitted a final official transcript from the institution of her additional major
GRADUATION CLEARANCE INFORMATION
In order to be listed on the clearance list, you will need to clear all your financial obligations to Spelman College. All seniors must:
- Obtain a Financial Aid Clearance Signature
- Obtain a Library Clearance Signature
- Obtain the Perkins Loan Office Clearance Signature.
The clearance form must be submitted by the deadline. If this is not done, the Registrar’s Office will place a “HOLD” on your clearance letter, diploma and transcript.
Your rehearsal for graduation will take place on the Thursday before graduation. The clearance list will be posted at the Registrar's Office in Packard Hall prior to rehearsal.
Please Note: In order to to be listed on the clearance list, you must settle all outstanding account balances and fulfill all other obligation to the College.
Get more information about this year's